Paleo pulled pork is an amazing tasting dish. The flavors are just so intense and a bit on the spicy side. You can also kick up the spice or decrease it if you like. You will also want to prepare the Paleo Barbecue Sauce Recipe in advance. The Paleo pork recipe below is created using a slow cooker or crock pot and is quite easy to prepare.
Paleo Barbecue Sauce Recipe
- 1 1/4 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 Tbsp of Coconut Oil or Olive Oil
- 1 tsp of Cumin
- 1 tsp of Paprika – some people prefer smoked if you have it
- 1 tsp of Dijon Mustard or Spicy Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper (use more if want more of a kick)
- 1 tsp of Salt
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp of Chili Powder
- 2 to 3 shallots, finely diced
- 3 cloves of finely diced garlic
- 12 oz can of Tomato Paste
Directions for BBQ Sauce
- Begin by heating the oil in a medium sized pan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and shallots and sauté until slightly transparent – about 2 minutes.
- Add the mustard, cumin, chili powder, paprika, and salt. Sauté for an additional 1 minute.
- Then add the chicken broth, lime juice, and the tomato paste.
- Mix all the ingredients together until well blended. A handheld blender works nicely for this.
- Bring to a slight boil, and then reduce to a simmer and cover the sauce.
- Simmer for about 45 minutes and then let cool and set aside until you’re ready to use it. You can make this sauce in advance and refrigerate too. That’s what I do.
Paleo Pulled Pork Recipe
1 pork butt roast (3-4Lbs)
1 cup of barbecue sauce (recipe above)
– Put the pork butt in the slow cooker or crock pot
– Pour barbecue sauce over roast
– Cook on low for 8 hours (or high for 4 ¾ hours)
– Remove the pork from the cooker, place it in a bowl and pull it to shreds, and then put back into the cooker. At this point I add ¼ cup of my prepared sauce. Or you can reserve it for when you serve the pork.
– Let cook for about another hour.
This is actually a perfect meal that can be created before you go to work and will be ready for dinner when you return.
If you wish to use a smoker instead of a crockpot you can see the instructions here on our home page.